ABOUT THE WARREN
Originally built in 1882, The Warren is one of the most unique venues in Kent. Nestled in 22 acres of gardens, playing fields and woodland, the property offers a choice of meeting and function rooms as well as a welcoming atmosphere and an unbeatable location. Perfect for corporate events, weddings, meetings, parties and dinner dances, The Warren is the ideal choice for your next occasion.
As well as being a high-quality events venue, The Warren serves as a members only club for retired Metropolitan Police Officers. This adds to the character and history of the site and helps to make The Warren one of the most unique venues in the South East.
Thanks to its long history as a private members’ club, the team at The Warren is used to hosting a wide variety of premium events. From intimate theme nights to large galas, concerts and parties, The Warren has already hosted a wide variety of highly successful occasions for both club members and other organisations using the venue.
A great choice of catering options is available at The Warren and you’ll also find some fantastic facilities on offer. Kids will love playing in the extensive gardens while grown-ups can enjoy strolling through the woods, learning about the history of the site and meeting friends, colleagues or family for drinks in the venue’s welcoming bar.
Each room at The Warren offers something a little bit different. So whether you’re planning a reception for 300 or an intimate meeting for 16, you’ll find a space that suits you perfectly.
Offering a fantastic choice of meeting and event spaces, a rich history and unique character, The Warren is ideal for all types of events and special occasions. Come and have a look around the site and start planning your meeting, conference, party or wedding today.
In the beginning...
The Building Of The Warren
Later he purchased the historic Layer Marney Towers, near Colchester, and restored it. This Tudor mansion in mellow red brick with terracotta decorations on the battlements and windows had fallen into decay. He also restored the adjoining church.
Our Club House, when built, was called Warren House, a name derived from the wooded valley on the west side of the house (now the Dell where the children`s playground is situated) and known locally as the Warren because it was overrun with rabbits. Here the locals came to catch rabbits with their ferrets and polecats – hence the name of the footpath, Polecat Alley, which runs from the back entrance on the north side of the Club grounds and skirts the valley to Croydon Road.
In the same year that Warren House was built, 1882, the Hayes and West Wickham Railway was opened. The trains ran to Elmers End where passengers changed for the “through” train to London. There were 13 trains, in each direction, on weekdays and 4 on Sundays.
A lean-to greenhouse was used for grapes. The new owner was a great philanthropist and entertained more than a thousand people annually, no one was ever turned away from his door. Whenever he travelled to Town he would go to Bromley South Station in his Barouche and almost on every occasion he would be stopped at Hayes Grove near Warren Road and asked for money by a very brown and dirty character known as Flannel Nan who lived rough on the Common. At Christmas he would distribute Christmas Boxes, a Sovereign and a piece of Beef to all and sundry – including the local Constable.
The lay-out of the ground floor of the house at this time was as follows: Entrance Hall, Staircase Hall, Lounge, Dining and Drawing Rooms, Cloakroom, Business Room, Billiard Room, the Kitchen, Larders, Scullery, Butler`s Pantry, Housekeeper`s Room, Boot and Knife House and Serving Lobby all being on the West Side. The first floor had twelve Bedrooms, Bathrooms, a Lobby and Housemaid`s Pantry, Five Staff Bedrooms and Boxrooms were to be found on the top floor. The Staff was comprised of a Housekeeper, Cook, Butler, two Footmen, Hall Boy, Housemaids, Kitchen and Scullery Maids, Governesses, Coachmen, a Carpenter, an Electrician and Gardeners.
Outside, the valley and slope in front of the house became known as the wood and at the North End of this, where the lower Tennis Courts are located, there were fruit bushes, fruit sheds, a fishpond and a Carpenter`s Shop. The brick-built storage house for fruit still stands behind the Squash Courts. The house on the left of the approach to the rear entrance was the Carpenter`s Cottage – the Carpenter at that time being a Mr Rutherford a Scot. Just inside the rear entrance Mr Smith had two cottages built to house the Gardener and the Watchman, a Mr Wilkins, respectively. Before Mr Wilkins was engaged, the duties of Watchman were undertaken by Police Constables working on a rota of one month day duty, one month night duty. (It must have been some early form of Special Employment.)
The drive and flower border flanking the Tennis Courts was known as Broad Walk. The large lawn in front of the house extended to where the climbing frame is today. Beyond this, to the East Side, there was a wild growth and in the North-East corner was Julian`s Wood. Julian was the youngest of Mr Smith`s four sons. He was said to be a brilliant interpreter, unfortunately he was killed in the Great War while serving with the 9th Lancers. On the other side of the lawn and wild growth was the semi-circular “common border”, bounded by an herbaceous border which extended as far as the gateway to the Common.
It is not generally known that the carnation as we know it today was developed from the French gillyflower, Dianthus Caryophyllus, and Martin Smith became one of the leading growers of its hybrids. The old Cricket Pavilion stands on the site of carnation beds and yet more greenhouses. Mr Smith employed 18 Gardeners. The Head Gardener was Charles Blick and Bill and Tom Price were the Under-Gardeners. The cultivation of the carnation began in 1889 and no doubt much of the work and credit must go to Charles Blick. John Player in the course of his research met Miss Blick, Charles`s daughter, still living in Hayes. It was with some pride that she showed him a cutting from the Evening Times, dated 21st March 1911 (the year of the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary), which read;
“It is just 22 years ago since Mr Martin Smith started to raise the carnation from its lowly state, and it is entirely due to his efforts that it has become a flower of such character that a Queen has chosen it to adorn her on the proudest day of her life.”
Martin Smith`s daughter, Sybil, married Eric Hambro, son of Sir Everard Hambro of Hayes Place. The youngest daughter, Winifred, married Olaf Hambro. The route to the parish church at Hayes through what is now Preston Road and Warren Road was made festive by lining it with barrels supporting poles carrying bunting. Obviously the weddings were joyous occasions which all the local populace could enjoy.
During Martin Smith`s occupation a popular game known as “bumplepuppy” was played by the family and their guests. It was played with racquets and a tennis ball fastened by a line to the top of a pole. The object was to wind the ball spirally around the post while preventing your opponent from doing so. (There is a modern version by Dunlop known as “Swingball”.) The game was played on the square between the Snooker Room and the ornamental brick arbour near the Bowling Green. Traces of the circle made by the game can still be seen on the lawn. It does not need much imagination to conjure up the scene with the guests in the arbour waiting their turn to play, shouting encouragement to those trying desperately to hit the ball.
While on the subject of entertainment you might like to compare our Bar prices with the cost of liquid refreshment in those days. A gallon of Scotch Whisky could be bought for 18/-; a dozen imperial pints of Bass Pale Ale cost 4/6d while a dozen pints of Guiness Extra Stout would set you back 3/6d. The staff in the those days were not kept short of the amber fluid and were able to entertain their friends regularly. “By golly, they used to drink a lot of beer in the Stables in the good old days”, said one of them to John Player. [And, when Mounted Branch were in situ, nothing changed!]
But what was it that prompted Martin Smith to insert the following clause in the deeds in 1901? “No building now erected or hereinafter erected on the lands shall be used as a Lunatic Asylum, Hospital, Convalescent Home, Public House or Shop or for any other purpose of a like nature or otherwise whatsoever as a private dwelling house with the consent of the said Martin R Smith, without his or assigns ………”.
With the presence of so many nobs in the area the village of Hayes gradually developed. Martin Smith did much for the village and made generous donations to the church school where about seventy children were taught. Sir Edward Hambro, of Hayes Place, was now the major Landowner in the area and in the period before the Great War he purchased many small properties.
When they were not being entertained by the staff of Warren House the villagers could resort to any one of four Public Houses (two of which were owned by Sir Everard). The Alma Arms, near the church school, named, as were many others after one of the famous battles of the Crimea, but known locally by the less martial patrons as the Dust Hole! A short distance away, in West Common Road, stood the Rising Sun whose customers had the reputation of being more rowdy. The George had every appearance of a Coaching Inn but the nearest stage coach route was across Bromley Common. An old, weather boarded cottage, opposite the Station, opened as a Beer House after the opening of the Railway and rejoiced in the name of the New Inn.
There were moves to extend the railway to Farnborough and one of the interested parties was a Lord Sackville Cecil who lived at the Oast House. The plans progressed as far as a Bill in 1906 but the line was never built. Lord Cecil was a meticulous handyman who was known to stop his coach if he saw the church clock was wrong and go up and correct it.
The farmer from Coney Hall Farm, Mr McBain, could be seen each Sunday morning on his way to West Wickham Church, dressed in top hat, frock coat and carrying his Bible. Beating the bounds was an annual event in the village and there is a record of choirboys climbing in the front window and going out the back door of a house in Station Hill, part of which was in Hayes and part in West Wickham.
Sir Robert Laidlaw was a wealthy business man as well as being a politician. His firm, Whiteway and Laidlaw, were merchants in India and were often referred to as the Selfridges of India. We are fortunate that all the families who have lived at Warren House contributed to the beauty of its grounds. Following Martin Smith`s culture of the carnation, Sir Robert Laidlaw specialised in the growing of seedling Rhododendrons, Azaleas and, to our good fortune, trees. Sir Robert`s Head Gardener was a Mr Brown, whether he was a descendant of the great John “Capability” Brown we do not know, but the setting of the trees, with their rich variety of colour – particularly noticeable from the front of the house – is reminiscent of the natural designs of that marvellous landscape gardener who gave his touch to so many country estates. To accommodate his Gardeners, Sir Robert had a bothy built in 1910. In 1914 at the beginning of the War Sir Robert gave Warren House to the British Red Cross Society for use as a 50-bed hospital. He also contributed £25 a week towards its upkeep together with produce from his gardens. The use of the house as a hospital continued until 1916 and during those two years many soldiers in hospital blue could be seen recuperating in the grounds. Sir Robert died in 1915 and in 1920 his Executors conveyed the property to Edwin Mumford Preston of Monks Orchard, West Wickham, for £19,500. Here again was a man who could visualise still further improvements . Mr Preston`s forte was flowering shrubs and rare plants. As with previous owners, there was a full complement of Gardeners, Mr Preston`s Head Gardener being a Mr Wood whose expert knowledge was sought by many local horticulturalists. One of the oldest members of the Hayes Horticultural Society talking to John Player recalled the time when he brought a rare plant from Wales. “No one knew what it was but I took it to Mr Wood and at once he was able to tell me its name”. To assist the cultivation of rare and unusual plants Mr Preston added a Conservatory to the house. Mr Preston was well liked and he did much good work for the village. The road from Hayes, leading to Croydon Road, was named after him. He and Mrs Preston gave the land for the building of the village hall. It was during his residence that the name was changed from Warren House to The Warren. He had a high opinion of the Police, as did the local people generally. The Hayes parish magazine, dated 1st June 1926, contained the following appeal by the Mayor of Bromley: “The Mayor of Bromley asks for gifts towards the purchase of a Sports Ground for the Police of “P” Division, comprising Lewisham, Camberwell, Beckenham, Penge and Bromley. He points out, a ground at Thames Ditton as suggested for the Police generally, would be little use to men in our locality. Some may have contributed already to the fund but may be glad to support one which means so much to the men of our locality”. The appeal raised £2,025 which was invested and called “P” Division Recreation Ground Fund. Mr Preston was a donor to the fund and it is fitting that his home was later to become the Sports Club for 4 Area . Hayes had become part of “P” or Camberwell Division in October 1885. Before then it had been part of “R” or Greenwich Division since 1840. Sir Everard Hambro died in March 1927 and his large estate was put on the market and lands were bought by speculative builders and developers. His death, therefore, marks the beginning of Hayes as we know it today.
In the 1930s the area became very popular with hikers and others seeking a breath of country air; firms just over the border in the county of London held their annual picnics on the common and on one Bank Holiday over 21,000 passengers used Hayes Station. In 1934 Mr Preston conveyed The Warren to Gordon Ralph Hall-Caine, MP of Woolley Firs, Maidenhead, but he did not take up residence and later that same year it was purchased by the Receiver, through the good Offices of Lady Margetson, wife of Major Sir Philip Margetson, KCV MC, the Deputy Commissioner. At the time the Club was renting 18 acres at Monks Orchard, Beckenham. Extensive work was necessary to convert the property into a Club House and to clear an area to provide a playing field. A Bowling Green was laid out on the South-East side of the house. The bedrooms on the first floor of the house were converted to dressing rooms and two large rooms on the ground floor became a Dining Room and Dance Floor, the original oak panelling, paintings and fireplaces being retained. The Billiard Room built by Martin Smith, beautifully panelled in Italian walnut, was used as a Lounge or extra Dining Room. The Club House and grounds were officially opened on 13th June 1935 by Marshal of the Royal Air Force, the Lord Trenchard GCB DSO DCL LLD, Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis.
During the Second World War the Stables were used as Headquarters for the local Home Guard and beds were moved into the Club House in readiness to receive Police casualties – fortunately they were not required. The Club became a favourite rendezvous for pilots from nearby Biggin Hill; “Sailor” Malan, Stanford Tuck, Jamie Rankin, Al Deere, Don Kingaby, “Spy” de la Torre, E H Thomas and C Masterman, were just a few of The Few who signed in at the Club.
The Modern Warren
In 1974 major construction was carried out on the old stables to open a new Metropolitan Police Horse Patrol Station. An extra block was added in the mirror image of the existing Dutch style building and for twenty three years the roads of the estate were once again graced by horses. Unfortunately, due to a reorganisation of the Service, the stables were closed in 1997.
There was then very little change until 1984 when the Commissioner, Sir Kenneth Newman, opened the new Hobbit Sports Pavilion. To the left of the main building this new facility provided changing rooms and showers and a sports hall with a bar. Another advantage of The Hobbit was that it allowed the changing rooms on the first floor of the main building to be converted to offices and classrooms.
September 1989 saw the opening of, probably, the most important addition to the estate since the Club was opened in 1935. The Coney Suite, a purpose built function room, was designed by Raymond Smith & Associate Architects and built by R Mansells Ltd and was constructed as a “wing” on the north side of the original building. It is big enough to hold over 300 people and can sit up to 200 for a formal dinner. As this included the old Members` Bar, a new one had to be constructed in what had been used by the Club as a dining hall but which had originally been Mr de Zoete`s drawing room.
For this wonderful addition to the Club amenities, praise must go to the then Secretary, Inspector Cliff Baker, for all his hard work in getting such an enormous project planned and financed, and then to his successor, Inspector Dave Castle, who saw it through to completion.
In 1994 “Wickhams” Restaurant was opened. Consisting of a cocktail bar and a fifty seater dining area, the suite was constructed by converting three classrooms on the first floor of the main building.
Is that the final addition to this fine old estate ……… only time will tell
Crystal Palace Ladies FC @ The Warren
MP Hayes Sports Club is delighted to officially welcome Crystal Palace Ladies FC to The Warren.
The Warren is proud to be partnering Crystal Palace Ladies FC and CPLFC TV. Women’s sport is inspiring the younger generation through social media and a winning mentality. To be associated with CPLFC fits with what we are trying to achieve here at The Warren, promoting good business and inspiring a new generation going forward’ Martin Purser, General Manager.